Baroque jewel in Seville
The Church of El Salvador, in Seville is a temple of Roman Catholic worship that is located in the heart of Seville. It was built between 1674 and 1712 and belongs to the Baroque style.
The Church of El Salvador was built on ruins of temples of times Roman, Visigothic, and Muslim, which can be seen today thanks to the excavations carried out in the own courtyard of the temple. Thus, it is located on the site occupied the Caliphate mosque of Ibn Adabbas of great importance in everyday life for the people. So much so that when the Christians conquered Seville, allowed keep its use as a mosque for a while. This privilege was extended until 1340, when it becomes the parish of el Salvador.
It was awarded in the 17TH century the character of collegiate church so he could continue being the second temple of the city (currently continues to be the largest church after the Cathedral of Seville), holding its religious use until the great deterioration prevented it. Thus, in 1674 began construction of which we know today as the Church of El Salvador.
However in the 19th century through its worst since that loses the funds that allowed him to keep the temple after the alienation and, after the Concordat of 1851, the nature of collegiate retires you. Although it has undergone other restorations, 2003 (which ended in 2008) has been which has really returned splendor to the temple. King Juan Carlos I de Borbón participated in the reopening.
It is currently considered one of the most representative of the city churches, and they are different reasons that have led it to achieve such fame. Among them we can highlight:
Own in Seville are the watchmen that can sit to enjoy the pleasant Sun while enjoying the known ‘tapas’. As well, in turning to the Church of El Salvador can be found right on the square which leads not less than 5 bars of quality with watchmen, which ensures the presence continuous people and movement through the area.
Up to 14 are the altarpieces that are found in the interior of the chapel which include the altarpiece of the Santas Justa and Rufina, sisters who enjoy a Seville special veneration as its city of origin, also are considered the protectors of the Giralda and the Cathedral are the patrons of the city.
Another element that underlines the importance of the Church of El Salvador is the large amount of sacramental brotherhoods that shelters, many of them made of penance during the Semana Santa de Sevilla. These are:
It not only hosts two of the most beautiful brotherhoods that procession in the Holy week of Seville which in addition, opening their doors symbolizes the beginning of this week so dear. Although not the first brotherhood that puts foot in the street, the triumphal entrance (first step of the brotherhood of love) is the first that comes into official career.
Because of the steps that have to travel to reach their gates square, extends a ramp which facilitates both the nazarenes and the images down. This ramp is one of the symbols of the Seville colleague, there are many expressions that speak of the desire to see her in reality referring to the desire for Easter.
Monday to Saturday from 09:00 to 13:00 and from 18:30 to 20:45 hours; Sundays from 10:30 to 13:30 and from 19:00 to 20:45 hours.
Get your hotel or apartment close to El Salvador in Seville, in the historic centre of the city.
The Real Church of Santa is located in the special and magical Triana district and is one of the churches of old Seville. It is its surroundings we can find lots of bars where you can enjoy the authentic Andalusian cuisine, drinks and tapas at a great price. In addition, you are located very near the river Guadalquivir and Triana full, so you can enjoy an unforgettable ride.
The construction of the Church of Santa Ana began in the 13th century, in the year 1276, on the order of King Alfonso X, the wise. This mandate is due, as you can read in one of the walls of this Church of Santa Ana, to cure the King of an illness he suffered in the eyes, thanks to the miraculous intervention of Santa Ana, mother of the Virgin Mary.
Once the reconquest of Seville, the monarch Alfonso X created a small town from a group that lived around the castle of São Jorge. This neighborhood, under the name of Triana was chosen to host the parish of Santa Ana.
It is believed that the Church in its early days must have been fortified since it was the first parish church built in the walls of Seville after the reconquest of the Crown. This church of Santa Ana should be completed at the beginning of the 14th century, since it corresponds to the time previously annotated inscription was placed. During the first half of this century was the tower that goes with it.
The temple, deteriorated after the earthquake of 1355, had to be rebuilt in the 14th century. The construction of the temple however, continued arriving in 15th century building known as the chapel of the mount Captain Bernardo which consists of two sections covered with starry vaults in the left nave. Later, in the middle of the 16th century rose the Sacramental chapel which is closest to the headboard. A century later, in the 17TH, the baptismal Chapel of squared plant was erected and which will be covered with a hemispherical Dome, which will be also used years later to cover the Sacramental Chapel.
A new earthquake made that he again had to be remodeled. During a reform to the Church of Santa Ana in 1920 a small headstone of a parish cemetery old lies. In 1972 they decided to put it to a complete restoration that disappeared inside Baroque decoration. In 2010, after the restoration of its altarpiece, the parish all its splendor was returned.
It was classified as a monument in 1931.
This church of Santa Ana also has great importance today in the city of Seville since it hosts the following brotherhoods, among which we highlight the Pontifical Brotherhood of the Holy Sacrament and pure and clean Concepcion (Sacramental Brotherhood of the Esperanza de Triana). It organizes the procession of Corpus Christi parish and the Cathedral Friday penitential station:
The visits to this parish can be accompanied by a guide, but such visits only account with guides who speak Spanish. These are the following data to visit the Church of Santa Ana:
Contact St. Anne’s Church: For the visit must be write with at least 4 days in advance to the following email email@example.com.
Some Saturdays, where religious acts are not performed are reserved so that groups of more than 20 people can visit the Church of Santa Ana
Get your hotel or apartment near the Golden Tower in Seville, in the historic centre of the city and enjoy an unforgettable stay.
Popularly known as the “Basílica de la Macarena”, this Catholic temple houses the most representative image of the Semana Santa de Sevilla, the lady called Maria Santísima de la Esperanza Macarena which along with our father Jesus of the sentence makes the station the morning of good Friday penance. The passage of this Christ performed his departure escorted by a century of Romans dressed in armor and red velvet.
He was the Archbishop of the city by then, Pedro Segura y Sáenz who in 1941 blessed the land and laid the first stone of the building. Completed in 1949 and blessed month of March by the same Archbishop. This temple obtained the dignity of minor Basilica by Pope PabloVI becoming the first Seville Church in flaunting this dignity.
This single-nave building has four side chapels. It notably both the roof and the dressing rooms of the Macarena and the sentence, as well as the Altar of la Hispanidad, altarpiece that emerged from the brotherhood to thank the American people the amount of aid for the beautification of the Basilica. In the paintings of the Ibero-American patrons are arranged.
Surrounding this famous brotherhood and above all, the famous carving of the Virgin, we find numerous legends that circulate in the city.
For example which has its arrival at the temple. The author of the carving is today completely unknown. The story of a merchant from Italy that stopped in Seville road to America circulates through all the Andalusian capital. Once in the Seville port the merchant willing to embark began to be wrong and decided to go to a hospital. Useless were the care of nuns that they tried to heal him since shortly after the man died, and not being able to find his family since the merchant came from Italy, the nuns were in charge of their possessions. No embargoes they were not many, just had a pouch that being open turned out to be an angelic size cover which was going to be sold in the new world. By the entire neighborhood ran the rumor of the great discovery that the nuns of the hospital had been found and this was nothing more and nothing less than the current bust of la Esperanza Macarena.
Despite everything, the largest and most well-known legend that is spoken when it says “Macarena” is the following, which appeared in the newspaper “La Andaluza”. A journalist has, he watched the season of penance of the brotherhood when, approaching the palio of the Virgin a countryman who celebrated the holiday by drowning in alcohol, left a bar to observe such image. Without notice this threw the glass of nearly empty wine he carried in his right hand toward the figure with such accuracy that hit the cheek of the Virgin. Also ensures that years later could recognize the aggressor’s image wearing the Nazarene tunic and accompanying image. This legend would justify the damage that can be seen on his left cheek.
Without a doubt, this basilica both images which houses are must-see before leaving Seville since unveil the most characteristic and deep in the city: its traditions and passion.
Monday to Saturday from 9 to 14 and from 17 to 21 hours; Sundays and bank holidays from 9.30 to 14 hours and from 17 to 21 hours.
You can also contact the basilica of la Esperanza Macarena on + 34 954 901 800.
If you come to visit Sevilla can find accommodation near the basilica of the Macarena and make the most of this passion, especially in during Holy week.